Posted: August 10, 2011
UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
ELEVENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
JAMES P. GERSTENLAUER
56 Forsyth Street, N.W
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
APPOINTMENT OF FEDERAL PUBLIC DEFENDER
Southern District of Florida
The United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit invites applications for the Federal Public Defender position for the Southern District of Florida stationed at Miami. The Federal Public Defender serves a four-year term and may seek reappointment. The Federal Public Defender, under authority of 18 USC 3006A(g)(2)(A), provides criminal defense services to individuals unable to afford counsel, and supervises a full-time staff of attorneys, administrative, and clerical personnel. A review committee will evaluate all qualified candidates in accordance with regulations of the Judicial Conference of the United States and the Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit governing the appointment and reappointment of Federal Public Defenders.
The Court is searching for the best qualified person currently available and encourages applications from all qualified persons including women, members of minority groups and individuals with disabilities. All applications will be subject to the same standard of review. The current first-year salary is $139,950. Hiring for this position is subject to the availability of funds. Federal public defenders may not engage in the private practice of law and are subject to judiciary financial disclosure requirements.
To qualify for appointment as Federal Public Defender applicants must:
- be members in good standing of at least one state bar or the District of Columbia or the Virgin Islands and must be members in good standing of any bar of which they are members;
- have engaged in the active practice of criminal law for a period of at least five years, preferably with significant federal criminal trial and appellate experience;
- possess the ability to effectively administer a Federal Public Defender’s office;
- have a reputation for:
- integrity and good character;
- sound physical and mental health;
- commitment to equal justice under law and vigorous representation of his or her clients;
- outstanding legal ability and competence (evidenced by substantial legal experience, ability to deal with complex legal problems, aptitude for legal scholarship and writing, and familiarity with courts and court processes);
- have a commitment to the vigorous representation of those unable to afford counsel; and
- at the time of the initial appointment, not be related by blood or marriage to a judge of the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals or to a judge of the district court to be served, within the degree specified in Title 28, United States Code, Section 458.
Applications are available at http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/offices/cepositions_fpd.php; from any federal Clerk of Court in the states of Alabama, Florida, and Georgia; and from the Circuit Executive, James P. Gerstenlauer, 56 Forsyth Street, NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30303. Applications should be submitted in confidence to the Circuit Executive and must be received in the Circuit Executive’s Office no later than 23 September 2011. Email and fax copies of applications will not be accepted.
The United States Courts are equal opportunity employers.