UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA
REAPPOINTMENT OF MAGISTRATE JUDGE PATRICK A. WHITE
The current term of office of United States Magistrate Judge Patrick A. White, Miami, Florida, is due to expire on April 1, 2011. The United States District Court is required by law to establish a panel of citizens to consider the reappointment of the magistrate judge to a new eight-year term.
The basic jurisdiction of the United States magistrate judge is specified in Title 28, United States Code, Section 636. The duties of the position are demanding and wide-ranging and may include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
1) Conduct of most preliminary proceedings in criminal cases;
2) Trial and disposition of misdemeanor cases;
3) Conduct of various pretrial matters and evidentiary proceedings on delegation from the judges of the district court;
4) Trial and disposition of civil cases upon consent of the litigants; and
5) Assist the district court with any “additional duties as are not inconsistent with the Constitution and Laws of the United States.”
At the request of the Chair of the Federal Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel, written comments from members of the bar and the public are invited as to whether the incumbent magistrate judge should be recommended by the panel for reappointment by the Court, and should be directed in a confidential/sealed envelope to the Court Administrator, United States District Court, 400 N. Miami Avenue, Room 8N09, Miami, FL 33128. The public is also welcome to fill out the following evaluation form and return it to the Court Administrator.
Members of the Federal Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel: David Rothman, Esq., Chair; Manuel Kadre, Esq.; Tiffani Lee, Esq.; David O. Markus, Esq.; Jason M. Murray, Esq.; Gregory Samms, Esq.; Ms.Vivian Perez-Siam; Mr. Alejandro Soto; Ryan Stumphauzer, Esq.
Comments must be received no later than 5:00 P.M., September 3, 2010
THE DISTRICT COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER