Courthouse Closure Policy for Hazardous Weather Conditions
During inclement weather periods, the safety of jurors, the public and Court personnel is always a priority.
In 2007, Chief Judge Federico A. Moreno announced a new policy to govern the closing of the Southern District of Florida federal courthouses in the event of hazardous weather conditions, including hurricanes and tropical storms. If hazardous weather causes the local public schools within a particular county to close, the Federal Courthouses in that county will also close. Click here for a copy of Administrative Order 2007-44 in re: Emergency Closure of Courthouse.
In the event of an emergency, information about the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida can be obtained from the following sources:
- The Court’s website: www.flsd.uscourts.gov
- The Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts will post emergency messages on behalf of the Court on its website: www.uscourts.gov
- Broadcast messages sent to CM/ECF e-filers
- Television Announcements
- Recorded telephone messages at each Courthouse
- Local newspapers; Bar periodicals