Employees of the United States District Court are not included in the Government’s Civil Service classification, but rather are considered “at-will” Excepted Service employees of the Judiciary. Employees generally serve a one (1) year probationary period.
The Judiciary is proud to be considered an attractive employer and continually evaluates and improves employee benefits. Judiciary employees are entitled to benefits similar to other federal government employees and also enjoy enhanced “judiciary only” benefits.
Employee benefits are dependent on the type of appointment. Full benefits are typically available for full-time or part-time appointments expected to last for at least one year and one day. Limited benefits may be available for temporary full-time or part-time appointments of less than one year and for term law clerk appointments.
Depending on the type of appointment and the expected length of employment, Judiciary benefits include:
Insurance (optional elections):
- Wide choice of health insurance plans, both PPO and HMO (pre-tax payroll deduction available).
- Group life insurance .
- Long term care insurance (nursing home, extended personal care) for employee and other eligible family members.
- Flexible spending accounts: health care, dependent care, and commuter expenses (pretax payroll deduction).
- Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) – if applicable, mandatory participation.
- Optional Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), similar to 401K, with government matching funds when eligible (pre-tax payroll deduction).
(Leave) Time off:
- Employees with less than 3 years of federal service accrue 13 days of vacation each year. Employees with more than 3 years but less than 15 years of federal service accrue 20 days of vacation each year. Employees with at least 15 years of federal service accrue 26 days of vacation each year.
- Accrue 13 days of sick leave per year for instances of personal or family illness.
- Paid leave for military purposes and civic duties such as jury service.
- Enjoy 10 paid federal holidays.
- Eligibility for periodic salary increases.
- Availability of Federal Employee Assistance Program.
- Opportunities for training and career development.
- Work in a diverse and congenial atmosphere.
- Live in an ideal year-round climate, near the ocean, with many cosmopolitan, cultural, and community activities.